Monday, January 31, 2011

Morning Love

I was rushing out the door. Trying to get my oldest, my 6 year old, to school on time. We walk, which is great but that means we push it to the last possible moment that we can. School starts at 8:14 and we leave here at 8:03 on a good day. It takes forever to walk a block and a half. Why? There is the walking super slow, the getting distracted by running into a friend on the way, the looking down at the ground at every crack and leaf and the oh so dreaded smear of poop to divert his attention.

This morning, we were getting ready to leave and he ran back into the great room for one last thing. What that was, I didn't care. What I cared about is that we were supposed to be out the door already. I walked back and gave him "the look" which meant get over here now we HAVE to go!. He became sad and pointed and whimpered just a bit.

I've been trying to be better, a better mom, and not yell at him in the morning. To see what it is that he may have to say or do and maybe, just maybe it would be o.k. and we would still make it to school on time. I can't tell you how glad I was that I'm practicing this new way of being. I asked him what it was that he needed. He told me that I needed to go in the great room. That there was something there for me. A message for my day, from him.

Sigh.

This is what I found:

No comments:

Post a Comment